Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Doorman: The Web Series

I've been hinting at a next step for myself and this blog for the past week or so. And while I love writing these stories and sharing them, I didn't move to the city to be a doorman. It's true that without this job, I wouldn't have discovered my love for comedic writing (and I have no intention of abandoning it), but I've decided to follow through on what I actually came here to do. My 30th birthday is just around the corner, and I'm hell-bent on not spending it opening doors and carrying bags for ungrateful savages. 

As of now, I have no one to answer to but myself. I'm at liberty to take any risk I want, because I have zero dependents. That's a luxury that plenty of people my age simply do not have. Like when I dropped everything and moved to Manhattan to make a serious run at acting, I feel like I need to shake things up again to further advance my career. 

That said, I'm going to write, direct, produce, and star in a series of 5-10 minute episodes based on my blog. My bigger picture for this whole thing was to create a half-hour comedy series (of which I've already have outlined a 12-episode story arc). That's still the goal, but I can't keep sitting around and waiting for that to happen. So this will have to suffice. 

The hotel management hates me. I've become less enchanted with my duties, and they've noticed. They're likely looking for a reason to can me. This is a huge risk, because attaching my face and name to the blog will likely get me in serious trouble. The union can only protect me so much. It's a risk that I'm happy to take, because I have faith in my writing and this project. 

As for when I'll premiere these shorts, I'm not exactly sure yet. The first episode is scheduled to be shot in the last week of February, with a second in early March. I'm likely looking at an early spring release. I'll share more details as they come. 

Oh, and it will be called "Doorman", in case you were wondering. 

3 comments:

  1. You should let me play Doorman. I'm way better looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great next step, good luck, stay funny & can't wait

    ReplyDelete